Curtis Lloyd Kalfs

Curtis L. Kalfs, 56, of Okabena, passed away at the Windom Area Hospital on Wednesday, October 6, 2010.  Funeral Services will be held on Saturday, October 9, 2010 at St. John’s Lutheran Church in Okabena beginning at 11a.m. with Pastor James Albrecht officiating.  Burial will take place immediately following the service at St. John’s Lutheran Cemetery.

A visitation will be held on Friday, October 8, 2010 from 5-7pm at the Osterberg-Hansen Funeral Home in Lakefield and on Saturday, one hour prior to the services at the church.

In lieu of flowers memorials are preferred to St. John’s Lutheran Church in Okabena.

Curtis Lloyd Kalfs, the son of Lloyd and Berdina (Lueck) Kalfs, was born on June 8, 1954 in Lakefield, Minnesota. As a youth, Curtis attended Okabena Public Schools, graduating from Okabena High School in 1972.  After graduation he continued his education at Jackson Vocational School for one year before returning to take over the family farm after his father’s death.  He was baptized and confirmed at St. John’s Lutheran Church in Okabena.  Curtis was united in marriage to Sandy Steffen on March 29, 1986 at the St. Paul Lutheran Church in Rost Township.  Together they have three children; Laura, Lloyd, and Anna. Curtis passed away at the Windom Area Hospital on Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at the age of 56 years, 3 months, and 28 days.

Curtis was a lifelong member of St. John’s Lutheran Church, where he served on the Cemetery Board and Sunday School Board. He loved farming, the outdoors, and taking annual family camping trips out west and to Northern Minnesota. Curtis was a wonderful father and devoted family man. He was very supportive and found great joy in attending his children’s ball games and concerts. Curtis also loved holidays and mealtimes with his family. He strived to always provide for his family and share his never-ending love.

Curtis is survived by his wife of 24 years, Sandy, his children, Laura Kalfs (23) of Sioux Falls, Lloyd Kalfs (22) of Okabena, and Anna Kalfs (20) of Okabena, his mother, Berdina Kalfs, his brother Gary (Kathy) Kalfs, nephew Chad (Lisa) Kalfs, and niece Dana (Kelly) Luebben, all of Lakefield.

He was preceded in death by his father, Lloyd Kalfs, maternal grandparents Henry and Anna Amanda Lueck, paternal grandparents William and Alice Kalfs, and many aunts and uncles.

Blessed be the memory of Curtis Lloyd Kalfs.

11 thoughts on “Curtis Lloyd Kalfs”

1. Sharon Carter says:

Dear Kalfs family,
    I was so saddened to hear of Curt’s passing. I know how every one of you will miss your father and husband. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.
    Sharon and Virg Carter

2. Emily Hageman says:

Dear Kalfs family,

My heart goes out to you in deepest sadness over the loss of a father, husband, and son. Although I did not know him well, I know that he was a wonderful devoted Christian man who brought joy to the lives of those who loved him. All of you are in our thoughts and prayers, and my heart aches for you. I love you all dearly.

In Christ,
    Emily

3. Clarissa Laverman says:

I did not know Curtis well, but I do know Anna and she has been a source of enormous blessing in my life. If her father was anything like her I know the world has lost a person full of love and compassion of those around them. He will be greatly missed by every life that he touched. I write this with deepest pain and sympathy for his entire family right now. My thoughts and prayers are with you every minute.
    -Clare Laverman

4. Mia Kornelis says:

Dear Kalfs family,
    I have no idea what to say to express the profound loss of a husband and a father who was so dearly loved. I pray that God’s hand would be felt. So many hearts on this campus are raising you in prayer.
    With Love,
    Mia Kornelis

5. Sue & Dick Orcutt says:

Dear Sandy, Laura, Lloyd, & Anna,
    Our thoughts are with you at this difficult time. May all your family memories help you through your time of sorrow. I remember Curt always being so present in the education of his children.

Thinking of you,
    Sue and Dick Orcutt

6. Patti Wachal says:

Sandy and family,

My deepest sympathy to you and your family. And Laura, I’m soooo sorry to hear about your dad. You will need to cherish your memories with him as time goes by.
    My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Patti Wachal

7. Dallas and Bernadette Larson says:

Sandy and family,

It is with tear filled eyes that we are separated for a short time from Curtis but is with jubilation and great celebration that believers are welcomed into the presence of our holy God.

The Bible is full of promises and one of my favorite promises, given to us by Jesus our Savior, is found in John 14:2-3 as recorded beautifully in the King James version of the Bible:

“In my Fathers house are many mansions—. I go to prepare a place for you. —I will come again, and receive you unto my self; that where I am, there you may be also.”

Through our trials, whatever their origin, our sovereign God is in complete control, governing His world with loving mercy. For those that place their trust in Jesus as their Savior, God does not require us to suffer as payment for our sins. In Christ, His love and grace has provided full payment for all believers’ sins. “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God– not by works, so that no one can boast.” Ephesians 2:8-9, “There is no judgment awaiting those that trust in him.” John 3: 18, “—a man is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ, and not by works of the law, because by works of the law shall no man be justified.” Galatians 2:16, and “I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!” Galatians 2:21

As those who trust in Jesus for our salvation, we find assurance with King David as he writes in Psalm 23:4 “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for thou are with me; —-“

Before our savior went to the cross he prayed: “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory” John 17:24.

If we could talk to Curtis right now, I have no doubt that as much as he loved life on Earth with his family; he now totally enjoys the wonderful place he now calls home.

May you find strength in God’s presence at this time—may his love be your comfort.

We send you our love and the love of our Savior, Jesus. “Grace be to you and peace from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ.” 2 Corinthians 1:2

Have a happy forever,

Dallas and Bernadette

8. Kari Bottin says:

Sandy, Laura, Lloyd, and Anna

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care of each other as you heal and hold your memories close.

Thinking of you,
    Kari

9. Calvin and Mary Jane Larson says:

To all of the Kalfs family, we send our sorrow for your loss of my cousin, Curtis. We feel very fortunate to have been able to see and visit with him and most of you this past July. Curtis will sure be remembered by all who knew him by the fine family he raised. You are all a great tribute to his presence among us.

We wish that we could be with you at this time of grief, but we will be with each of you in spirit and in our prayers. Also, Mary Jane and I will be returning to see you all next summer when we have our 50th High School reunion in Windom.

In line with the family’s wishes, we will be making a donation to St. John’s Lutheran Church.

Calvin and Mary Jane Larson

10. Linda and Dick Dawson says:

Dear Sandy, Laura, Lloyd and Anna,
    May all your favorite memories of your husband and father help ease your sorrow and grief during this time and forever. Sandy, you and Curt have raised three exceptional children; Curt lives on through them. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Linda and Dick Dawson

11. Bill Elgersma says:

Dear Anna and family,
    Words seem hollow in times like these, but may God grant you strength and peace to endure moment to moment through this difficult time. You are in my prayers.
    Sincerely,