Erika L. Brennan

ERIKA LYNN ELIZABETH BRENNAN was born on November 28, 1975 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the daughter of Roger and Vicki (Opheim) Brennan.  She graduated from Minneapolis Washburn High School with Baccalaureate Honors in 1994.  She then attended University of Wisconsin in River Falls, Wisconsin and Eastern College in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania before receiving her A.S. degree from Iowa Lakes in Estherville, Iowa.  While in Jackson, she worked as a life guard at the Jackson Pool and worked at Gordy’s Foods.  She had been working for Walgreen’s in Albert Lea before transferring to the Walgreen’s in Northfield, Minnesota.  Erika passed away at her residence on Sunday, December 7, 2008 at the age of 33 years, and 9 days.

Erika was a member of Christ the King Catholic Church in Minneapolis and had been an acolyte for several years.  While in high school, she had been a 3 sport letter winner in gymnastics, swimming, and track.  She had competed in baton twirling for 8 years.  She enjoyed reading and crocheting.  She enjoyed scrap booking.  She spent her life being a care giver to her nieces and nephews and friends’ children and staying healthy.Erika is survived by her mother, Vicki (David) Olson of Jackson, her father, Roger Brennan of Minneapolis, 2 brothers, Luke Brennan of Jackson and Hroar (AnneGro) Berge of Bergen, Norway, 2 sisters, Carrie (Kevin) Leveille of Minneapolis and Hillary (Christopher) Straigis of Blue Bell, Pennsylvania, her grandmother, Mary Opheim of Lakefield, 2 uncles, Gene (Joy) Opheim of Tallahassee, Florida and Myles Opheim of Fort Worth, Texas, a step-sister, Peggy Everett of Goshen, Indiana, 5 nieces and 2 nephews.

Erika was preceded in death by her brother, Myles John James Brennan, her uncle, Curtis Opheim, her auntie, Joyce Opheim, her paternal grandparents and her maternal grandfather.

Blessed be the memory of Erika Lynn Elizabeth Brennan.

Mass of Christian Burial will be on Saturday, December 13, 2008 at 11:30 AM at the Church of the Good Shepherd in Jackson with Father Peter Schuster officiating.  Inurnment will be in the St. Augustine’s Catholic Cemetery in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania.

Visitation will be on Friday, 12-12-08 from 6 to 8 PM with a prayer service at 7:30 PM at the Osterberg Funeral Home and on Saturday – one hour prior to the service at the Church.

10 thoughts on “Erika L. Brennan”

1. Paula Hakes says:

Victoria,Carrie, Luke and family,
    Wow, I just heard, and I have no way of getting ahold of any of you. I would love to see you! Can you call me 840-0199 cell. Unforunately, we will be in Aberdeen SD for a college visit for Kelsey, so we will be unable to attend visitation or the funeral. I want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers! Erika was so nice and was a wonderful babysitter. I have so many memories of swim lessons with the kids, and being at Arden and Shirleys 40th wedding anniversary, wacthing the kids, but more for my piece of mind and to keep me calm. I have always thought highly of Erikia, Carrie and Luke;they were a huge part of the begining of my kids lifes.
    Paula, Craig, Kelsey, Caleb Hakes

2. gwyn glynn (glidden) says:

Carrie
    I’m sorry to hear of your lost of Erika, my heart goes out to you and your family. I will keep you in my thouhgt
    and payers during this difficult time.

love,
    gwyn

3. Tiffany Jensen (Kruger) says:

Carrie and family,
    Kristin just told me the news, I’m so incrediably sorry for your loss. What a shock. I know I haven’t seen you or Erika for a very long time, Erika held a very special place in my memories. Again I am so sorry for your loss.
    Carrie I would love to hear from you, when you feel up to it you can email me at jtjensen@redred.com
    Tiffany

4. Rhonda Johnson says:

To Erica’s family & friends,

I was so shocked to read of Erica’s passing. I lived in Jackson from 1990-1999 and was privileged to call Erica my friend. We lost touch after she moved from PA, but I have very fond memories of the time we shared. I am so sorry for your loss and my deepest sympathy to you all. God Bless Erica’s memory!

Rhonda Johnson

5. Vickie Hurd says:

Oh, my, what sad news. My memories of Erika are from the days all of us moms worked together in the ECSE room. I always enjoyed her so much. Know that my prayers and love are extended to each member of your family.

6. Colleen Hitchcock says:

To Vicki, David, Roger and all the family. My sincered condolences at the tragic loss of Erika. She was a bright light and gone too soon. See you tomorrow at the service.

Wishing you the power of the strongest angels, to get you through your loss.

Love,

Colleen Hitchcock

Ascension

And if I go,
    while you’re still here…
    Know that I live on,
    vibrating to a different measure
    –behind a thin veil you cannot see through.
    You will not see me,
    so you must have faith.
    I wait for the time when we can soar together again,
    –both aware of each other.
    Until then, live your life to its fullest.
    And when you need me,
    Just whisper my name in your heart,
    …I will be there.

Ascension ©1987 by Colleen Corah Hitchcock, P. O. Box 390082, Edina, MN 55439

7. Joan Schuknecht says:

Vicki, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your daughter, Erika. We are in Florida for the winter and Joy called me today with the sad news.My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. With love, Joanie

8. Deborah Martin says:

You do not know me. I was Erika’s customer at Walgreen’s in Northfield.
    As I entered the store with my digital chip in hand, I had no idea what to do with it, my first time experiencing my new camera. This is when I met Erika.
    She helped me through, very professional and patient.
    I have made many trips to the store since then and still don’t have the knowledge down pat. Erika was always there to help with her kind way.
    We had many laughs together as I tried to remember all the steps getting the photos on disc, in 4×6’s or what ever I needed.
    We shared our love of photography and I was able to show her some of mine the last time I was in.
    As I left the store, the manager was standing by the photo area. I said to him, “you are lucky to have an employee like Erika”. I’m so glad she heard me.
    I had told her I would bring more photos of Mexico to share with her, as I left for vacation right after that, a week before she passed.
    I want you to know what a lovely young lady she was. I will miss her, she taught me alot.
    Deborah Martin PO Box 91 Dundas, Mn 55019

9. Peggy Rogers Stokman says:

Dear Roger and Vicki – Our sympathy on the death of your daughter, Erika. Our Christmas card, Roger, was returned to us so I Googled your name. You have a Minneapolis address in her obituary. I would like to keep in touch so please send me your new address. We are such a small family.

Vicky – I remember your face and our good visits. This is a strange way to connect but our love and prayers are with both of you. Love, Peggy and John Stokman

10. Colleen Hitchcock says:

Eulogy Delivered by Colleen Hitchcock at her funeral for her 2nd cousin Erika:

Erika Eulogy

We have come together
    at a time of great sadness
    and mourning
    for a young life—that is gone too soon.

We gather
    to support Erika’s
    mother, fathers, sisters, brothers,
    her family,
    her loved ones,
    her community,
    and all the friends and families
    –whose lives she has touched.

We are a people of great faith
    Who share in the belief in the life ever after.
    We believe that our spirit does live on
    and does ascend to the heavens
    after it leaves our bodies.

So it is for Erika. She is listening with her whole soul as
    She watches us mourn for her presence.
    She is present now in her true beautiful spirit
    reassured by this service– that she was loved.

Then may the words I penned 21 years ago, titled, Ascension,
    Have meaning to all today,
    Let these words be Erika’s message to us,
    to reassure us–that she is well–and ascending.

Ascension

And if I go,
    while you’re still here…
    Know that I live on,
    vibrating to a different measure
    –behind a thin veil you cannot see through.
    You will not see me,
    so you must have faith.
    I wait for the time when we can soar together again,
    –both aware of each other.
    Until then, live your life to its fullest.
    And when you need me,